Selected Bibliography of Flashman: Work on Mapping Diagrams
- Joint Mathematics Meetings Denver, CO Jan. 15&17, 2020: MAA Minicourse 2020: Visual Complex Analysis- GeoGebra Tools and Mapping Diagrams GeoGebra Book.
- HSU Math Department Colloquium,"Linear Algebra & Mapping Diagrams: Old & New Visualizations" (GeoGebra Book) Sept. 5, 2019.
of Bridges 2019: Mathematics, Art, Music, Architecture, Education,
Culture, Edited by Goldstine, McKenna, and Fenyvesi, July, 2019, pp
"Mapping Diagrams and a New Visualization of Complex Functions with GeoGebra"
Mapping Diagrams and Visualization of Complex Function. GeoGebra book, https://ggbm.at/gutmhcp8, July, 2019.
- MEI Conference 2019 (Bath, UK), Saturday, June 29, 2019.[Links]
"Visualizing Functions with Mapping Diagrams"
"Visualizing Calculus with Mapping Diagrams"
- ICTCM 2019 (Scottsdale, AZ). Saturday, March 16, 2019. [Links]
"GeoGebra Tools for Visualizing Integration with Mapping Diagrams"
"GeoGebra Tools for Creating Mapping Diagrams: From Worksheets to Books"
- ArizMATYC Conference (Phoenix, AZ), Friday October 5, 2018. [Links]
"Making Sense of Integration Visually:
Mapping Diagrams for Calculus"
"Solving Polynomial Equations: Visualization from Linear to Cubic, from Rational to Complex Numbers".
- British Congress of Mathematics
Education 9, [Sessions A20, D20, E20, H20] April 3-6, 2018, University of
Informal Proceedings 13- Mapping Diagrams: Four Sessions, One Theme. Using Mapping Diagrams in Algebra, Calculus, and Complex Analysis
- Sacramento Valley Community College Mathematics (SVCCM) Conference, American River College (Sacramento), "Solving Polynomials: Mapping Diagram Visualization", Saturday, March 3, 2018.[Links]
- Joint Mathematics Meetings San Diego, CA, Jan. 13, 2018:
"Mapping Diagrams Visualizing Functions and Equation
Solutions: From Algebra Basics to Real and Complex
Special Session on Visualization in Mathematics: Perspectives of
Mathematicians and Mathematics Educators. [Links]
"Making Sense of Complex Integration: Mapping
Diagrams Created with GeoGebra to Visualize Definitions, Theory and
Applications." MAA Session on Revitalizing Complex Analysis [Links]
- Borderland Math Teachers Circle, U of AZ, South Campus, "Mapping (Function) Diagrams to Visualize and Make Sense of Solving Linear and Quadratic Equations," November 14, 201 7 [Links]
- AMATYC Conference, 2017, "Using Mapping Diagrams to Make Sense of Functions and Equations", November 11, 2017 [Links]
- Arizona State University, Mathematics Education Colloquium, "Making Sense of Calculus with Mapping Diagrams:A Visual Alternative to Graphs", November 3, 2017
- University of Arizona. Center for Recruitment and Retention of Mathematics Teachers, Workshop,
"Using Mapping Diagrams to Make Sense of Functions and Calculus," Part I, October 18, 2017. [Links I] Part II [Links II]
- HSU Math Department Colloquium, "Solving Polynomial Equations: Visualization from Linear to Cubic,from Rational to Complex Numbers", 9-24-2017
- Links to Presentation "Making Sense of Functions with Mapping Diagrams: From Algebra Basics to Calculus" ATM 2017 Conference, April 12, 2017, Stratford-on-Avon, England.
- "Complex Variables: Mapping Diagrams for Visualizing Complex Arithmetic and Functions Dynamically with GeoGebra", ATM 2017 Conference, April 11, 2017, Stratford-on-Avon, England.
- Links to Presentation, "Making sense of solving equations visually using functions and mapping diagrams" Culture, Pedagogy and Identity Interest Group, Mathematics Education Centre, Loughborouogh University, March 29, 2017.
- Links to Sept./Oct. 2016 Presentations: Lecture Tour of Oregon, Washington, & Idaho
- Links to Presentations"Using Mapping Diagrams to Make Sense of Functions and Equations" ATM 2016 Conference, March 31, 2016,Warwick, England.
- "Mapping Diagrams for Complex Variable Functions Visualized Dynamically with GeoGebra" ICTCM 2016 March 12, 2016, Atlanta, GA.
- "Complex Variables: Mapping Diagrams for Visualizing Complex Arithmetic and Functions Dynamically with GeoGebra" HSU Mathematics Department Colloquium, March 3, 2016
- "Visualizing Complex Variable Functions with Mapping Diagrams: Linear Fractional Transformations." MAA Contributed Paper Session on Revitalizing Complex Analysis, Jan.9, 2016.
- "Making Sense of Calculus with Mapping Diagrams", JMM, MAA Minicourse #7 Jan 7 and 9, 2016, (LINKS)
- "Making Sense of Solving Linear and Quadratic Equations with Mapping Diagrams",CMC3 Conference, Monterey, CA, December 12, 2015 (Links)
- "Equations, Functions, and Mapping Diagrams in Common Core" , CMC North Conference, Pacific Grove, CA, December 12, 2015 (Links)
- "Mapping Diagrams Take on Calculus and Complex Variables" HSU Mathematics Department Colloquium, Feb. 5, 2015
- "Using Mapping Diagrams to Understand Linear Functions",UC Davis Math Project Saturday Series 2014-15,November 1, 2014 (Links)
- Introduction to Sensible Calculus: A Thematic Approach, The Anja S. Greer Conference on Mathematics, Science and Technology
June 22 - June 27, 2014 (Links to presentations and materials)
- "Functions, Duality, and Mapping Diagrams", UC Davis Math Club Presentation, May 22, 2014.
Webinar, "Using Mapping Diagrams to Understand
Trigonometric Functions" April 10, 2014.
Duality, and Mapping Diagrams" Folsom Lake College Math
Club Presentation, Dec. 11, 2013, Folsom, CA.
Linearity:Alternatives to Lines and Planes"
Sacramento City College, Dec. 10, 2013.
Duality, and Mapping Diagrams" Howard University
Presentation, December 2, 2013, Washington, DC.
to Drive Technology in the 21st Century" (html),
™(YouTube Video) (CBM) Education
Summit, UNICEF, NYC, Nov.22 ,2013.
Webinar, "Using Mapping Diagrams to Understand
on youtube) October 15, 2013.
Duality, and Mapping Diagrams" Forty-Second Annual State
of Jefferson Mathematics Congress October 5, 2013, Orick, CA
Workshop Materials:(1) Mapping Diagrams and (2) Sensible
Calculus, July, 2012
- "Visualizing Linearity: Alternatives to Lines and Planes."
Occidental College Math Department Colloquium. LA. CA,
Nov. 21, 2011.
- "Visualizing Linearity: Alternatives to Line Graphs", HSU Math
Dept. Colloquium, September 3, 2009
- "Visualizing Linear Functions with and without Graphs! "
Saturday October 25, 2008 CMCFN Conference, Arcata, CA
- "Dynamic Visualization of Calculus I-III " CSU Dominguez Hills
Mathematics Colloquium, March 1, 2006
- "Visualizing Partial Derivatives without Graphs." MAA Jan. 14,
- " Dynamic Visualization of PreCalculus and Calculus Concepts
with Geometer's Sketchpad" (AMATYC Workshop). Nov. 5,
- "Dynamic Visualization of Calculus I-III with The Geometers'
Sketchpad", MAA Mathfest 1998.
- "Dynamic Visualization of Calculus: More Concepts to Drive
Technology", a one hour Address at ICTCM 11, NewOrleans,
Louisiana, November 21, 1998.
- "Dynamic Visualization of Precalculus and Calculus Concepts
with Geometer's Sketchpad," a two hour Workshop, AMATYC 24th
Annual Conference, November 5, 1998. Portland, Oregon.
- "Concepts to Drive Technology",
Chicago, November, 1992. Proceedings of the Fifth Annual International
Conference on Technology in Collegiate Mathematics, Addison-Wesley,
1994, pp 166-172.
- Sensible Calculus 0.B.2 Functions-Introduction and Review.
- M. Flashman, K. Yanosko, Y. Kim, Visualizing Functions.https://www.math.duke.edu//education/prep02/teams/prep-12/