Monday February 17
Discuss Assignments, Projects, Portfolios.
Review - Cutting and reassembling polygons.
Any two points in the figure
have a line segment connecting them. If that line segment is always inside the figure, then the
figure is called "convex".
Making Dissection Puzzles
[more links] :
Dissection of the
of the plane:
- FAPP watch Video: Possible tiles and
- One polygonal Tile: Quadrilateral Activity [ Last Monday.]
- Regular and Semiregular Tilings of the plane. Some explorations - classification.
- A tiling is a regular tiling if (i)it has a single tile shape
that is a regular polygon and (ii) the vertices and edges of the tiles
coincide (no overlapping edges)
- A tiling is a semi-regular tiling if (ii) each tile shape is a
regular polygon, (ii) the vertices and edges of the tiles coincide (no
overlapping edges) and (iii) every vertex has the same polygon types
download! and demonstrate tesselations.
tilings (Math Forum)
- The numbers represent the number of sides in the polygons.
- The order indicates the order in which the polygons are arranged
about a vertex.