Tuesday, January 20
- Discussion of course details:
What is Visual Mathematics?
Mathematics that studies topics related to visual experience. [Geometry, Topology]
Visualization of mathematics that is not inherently visual.
- numeral: a symbol for representing a number
- Number: a form of universal language to describe
anything/ physical things/ concepts related to measurement
- such as V, 5, five, cinq, chamesh, cinco
Frege distinguished numerals from numbers in the late 19th century.
We can compare numbers... for instance we say" 3 is less than 5"
Is 3 smaller than 5?
Numerals are symbols (visual or linguistic) that we use to represent
We use numbers to measure (lengths) and put things in order (which was
Another common visual representaion of numbers uses the
5 6 7
Here there numerals are connected to points, so the points are
to visualize the corresponding numbers.
- We visualize equations that give relations between
numbers with graphs
in the coordinate plane.
3x + 2y = 6 is visualized by the graph of a line ...